“To create plantation and greenery not only to reduce CO2 emission but also to become responsible corporate citizen and to create environment friendly/Sustainable setup”.
The infrastructure industry is dependent on natural resources and thrives in their optimal usage and transformation for the development and progress of the society. It is therefore the responsibility of the industry and the organisations that constitute it to preserve and conserve the environment around their operations and as a responsible corporate citizen, Adani has undertaken multiple initiatives and innovations for the best protection and preservation of the environment in and around our sites and communities.
The group has a dedicated Department of Horticulture which has pioneered the implementation of the latest Iso-Dutch technique in India where a green zone has been developed in highly saline sandy soil and water (35000-45000 TDS).
The Port company, APSEZ has been recognized internationally as a “World ports for a better climate” for implementation of green port ideology and for better environment control in desert condition. Moreover now, “APSEZL has been selected as a member of C-40 world port”. It has also won IAPH Busan Open Award, which was held at Busan, South Korea in 2011 for its successful strategies for making a Green Port, competing with 447 worldwide participants from port sectors.
We believe in clean and green power and Adani Power is the pioneer of super-critical technology in thermal power plants in India which lowers the carbon footprint of our thermal power plants. Adani group is also India’s largest private solar power generator with multiple sites across India.
Adani Ports & SEZ Limited has undertaken mangrove afforestation activity at various location of Gujarat coast as part of its initiative to improve environmental integrity and its corporate commitment toenvironment. Accordingly, in close association with the personnel ofHorticulture Department of APSEZL, Mundra, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE) Bhuj and Gujarat Ecology Commission (GEC) assisted,coordinated and implemented the entire afforestation activity from the start (June 2006) to completion(December 2014). GUIDE, Bhuj and Centre for Environment Education (CEE), Ahmedabad were assigned the role to monitor the progress and render appropriate technical inputs to achieve the targeted survival rate and growth.
At present (in FY 2014-15), we have successfully completed the mangrove afforestation in 1788Ha besides gap filling work of mangrove. Along with afforestation activity, we are also conserving 1254Ha of existing mangroves near our port area. We have planted mangroves in a 200m belt along the outer periphery of our SEZ (total area 298Ha) under the expert guidance of Forest department, Government of Gujarat.
Terrestrial biodiversity is the variation of life forms within a given ecosystem or biome that refers to species that inhabit the land. By conducted successful research, we have preserved 87+ species in terrestrial biodiversity and 4 species in marine biodiversity (mangrove) in highly saline soil and other sea soils.
Till December 2014, all Green Area of Adani stood at 721.15 Ha. Survival rate till date is 93.50% i.e. recordable in saline desert & other locations. Some of our green initiatives have been:
- The Green Zone development which includes 25845 trees, 392250 shrubs and 28785Sq.m green carpet with a survival rate of more than 90% in highly saline soil base dredged from the sea
- Adoption of Israel's Hi-Tech Mechanised sprinkler irrigation systems and also the latest system of underground drip irrigation to deliver water directly to the roots to avoid water loss through evaporation. This system reduces irrigation water usage up to 80%.
- Utilisation of Hi-tech and latest techniques in horticulture maintenance with high working efficiency and productivity initiatives.
- Adoption of base greening concept to prevent blowing of sand in high wind velocity.
- Utilisation of treated STP water in irrigation & treated sludge into manure in Green zone development with dual benefits i.e. fulfillment of environmental policy and economising on irrigation water.
- Implemented productive Green zones with three major benefits such as income generation, employment and implementation of environment policies.